Field Trip! Meet the Studio

Magic happens in different places. For some folks, it occurs in the bedroom, while for others, it's the kitchen. The garage is another popular site for magical happenings, as is the treehouse.

For me though, magic happens at the studio. Last time we met, I told you about some of the printmaking techniques that I like to use. Today, we're taking a field trip to the studio so that you can see where I make my prints.

The entrance to the print studio
I rent studio space from Burlington City Arts, an organization that mounts exhibits, offers classes, and provides public studio space. In addition to the print studio, the BCA has separate studios for photography, clay, and painting.

The clay and print studios live on 250 Main Street, underneath the Burlington Memorial Auditorium. Whenever there's a concert there, I get to hear the rehearsals for free.

The Memorial Auditorium

Now let's take a look around inside.



This is our printing press. It's intended primarily for intaglio techniques such as drypoint and etching, which require substantial amounts of pressure. It's also good for woodcuts and linocuts when you want an image of uniform opacity.


This is the sink where I soak the paper I use for my drypoints,  since they require damp paper in order for the ink to transfer successfully.


Intaglio prints are dried on these shelves.  The boards help keep the prints flat, otherwise they'd warp and wrinkle.




This side of the studio is dedicated to silkscreen. It's an especially popular method here, so it's not uncommon for me to see folks printing T-shirts and other delights.

So there's the studio in brief. Until we meet again, go find some magic! Or, for those of you along the East Coast, stay safe as Sandy blusters her way through.

Comments