Sketch of the Week

Most of the sketches I've been showing you are fairly recent, drawn within the last two or three years. Today, however, we're traveling back to 2007.




These three scenes are from what I call the London Sketchbook. This was a little sketchbook that I carried around with me when I was studying abroad in London in college, and is filled with vignettes I'd observed during my time there. The top sketch shows some arches from Canterbury Cathedral, where I had, perhaps for the first and certainly one of the only times in my life, a profoundly spiritual experience. The second scene shows a woman in the Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, where I had gone to listen to an outstanding chamber concert. The final scene shows a mask from the British Museum, I place I adored, 19th-century imperialistic hubris and all.

I'll admit, the London Sketchbook is nothing special as far as drawing books are concerned. It only measures 2'' x 3'' and could be picked up at any art store. The sketches themselves aren't spectacular either; most of them were done with an ordinary pencil or ballpoint pen. I love them all, however, because they remind me of a very happy, exciting period in my life. It was the first time I'd ever been out of the States, and admittedly I was a bit scared to go abroad. Yet I absolutely fell head-over-heels in love with London, and I'm determined to go back someday.

I had initially planned on doing all sorts of projects with these, but as the years go by, the prospect of that actually happening becomes less likely. Still, it's always fun to flip through these images and remember when I drew them.

And who knows, perhaps one day I will do something with them.



Comments