Shelburne Inspirations, Part 2

Last week, I was telling you about the friar lobsters prints I've done that feature Shelburne Museum objects. Today we'll look at some silkscreens I made that are inspired by one of my favorite pieces in the collection.

One object (or group of objects) I've always really liked is the Dentzel Carousel, which was made by the Dentzel Carousel Company in 1902. It's a rare example of a menagerie carousel, which features animals other than horses, such as lions, giraffes, and other exotic creatures.

The example we have is absolutely magnificent. The carving is naturalistic, and more remarkably perhaps, the original paint survives intact. Most carousels were repainted over the years due to the wear and tear of enthusiastic young riders, so the fact that our carousel has its original paint makes it an important historical document when it comes to understanding how these wonderful contraptions originally looked.

The carousel has been dismantled for some time now, but you can see the figures all lined up in the Circus Building.





When I saw these figures, I liked them so much that I decided to make a set of placemats for myself. I sketched the heads of several of the individual figures during my lunch breaks,  and then made silkscreen designs out of them. I then printed these designs onto fabric that I'd printed with colorful monotypes.

You can see the animals I sketched, and their respective silkscreens, below:

























I washed the screens off a long time ago, but I still have the transparencies, so if I ever want to revisit these, all I have to do is burn another screen.

Comments