Vermont Reflections

I'm generally not one for nostalgia. I don't like living in the past, and I roll my eyes and groan whenever I see those Facebook posts going off on how much better life was in the 80s, 90s, etc. I've always tried to live in the present, and I think this has been key to my ability to relocate to radically different places.

That said, I can't deny that the past two years have been very happy ones for me in Vermont, so today, I'll indulge in a little reminiscing, with plenty of pictures to boot.

I've been lucky enough to live in several beautiful places. I spent my earliest years tidepooling in Maine, and have had the Grand Tetons in my backyard. Vermont though, is undoubtedly one of the most gorgeous places I've been able to call home, regardless of season.

Colchester Causeway, May 2013. This is a lovely bike path

Brown Swiss cows at Shelburne Farms, Summer 2012
Autumn is nearly always stunning in New England
Shelburne Farms, Winter 2012-2013
I've also had a job I've greatly loved, and have been able to curate or co-curate several cool exhibits and projects.

How Extraordinary!, summer 2012. This show dealt with the theme of novelty in the 19th century, more or less.
Time Machines: Robots, Rockets, and Steampunk, summer 2012. I co-curated this really fun sci-fi show with Kory Rogers, Curator of Design Arts at Shelburne Museum.

The Time Machines show featured a replica of the machine from the 1960 film, and during set up, I was allowed to sit in it. It really is a time machine in a sense, because I reverted to a 5 year-old the moment I got into it.

Ogden Pleissner, Landscape Painter, summer 2013. This show highlights watercolors by Ogden M. Pleissner, friend of the Webb family.
The Art of Peril, summer 2013. This exhibit looks at prints of fires, shipwrecks, and other disasters.

And then there was Burlington City Arts, where I first discovered printmaking...

Laughing Skull, 2012, 4-color reductive linocut
Blue Friar Lobster, 2012, woodcut, monotype, pen and ink
Shelburne Farms: Wood, 2012, mixed media
Shelburne Farms Air: 2012, mixed media

Ossicones Skull, 2013, etching and aquatint
I've also been lucky enough to have made some great friends here, and have spent many a happy time sharing food, listening to stories, and yes, singing karaoke.

Decorating gingerbread houses, winter 2011
Grooming a friend's horse, winter 2011
Singing "Welcome to the Jungle" with a live band at a surprise birthday party for a friend, February 2012
In short, I've had a grand time in Vermont, but I won't dwell on the past because I know I've got some great adventures in store for me in Roswell. Regardless of where I may roam, however, I'll always cherish the memories I've made in Shelburne.



Comments