Sketch of the Week

One of my favorite places to go when I need a quick getaway is Bottomless Lakes State Park, located about 20 minutes east of Roswell. It consists of water-filled sinkholes, as well as surreal rock formations such as this one:




The writing you see in the upper righthand corner is an attempt at haiku. No, it doesn't follow the 5-7-5 syllable rule we learned in school; I wasn't interested in adhering to the formula.

Generally I don't write poetry, but I had gone to a haiku reading by John Brandi at the Museum the day before, and was inspired by its brevity and sense of surprise. According to Brandi, haiku is about enjoying the present moment, something I always try to do in my own life.

Anyway, as I sketched the rocks, periodically stopping to listen to the sound of  birds, water, and wind, the following came to mind:

Tiny wren calls
Arresting
The scratch of my pen


Comments