Sketch of the Week

A couple of months ago I was sitting in my carport watching a monsoon. Lightning flashes extended their illuminated tendrils across the ominous sky, while robust peals of rain pounded at the earth and rattled on my carport ceiling. It was delightful. It's cliche, but when it comes to dramatic thunderstorms, the Southwest seldom disappoints.

After the storm, as I watched the clouds gradually clearing, I sketched this telephone poll.


The contrast between the richly modeled, curvaceous storm clouds and the rectilinear silhouettes of the telephone wires reminded me of a Louis Lozowick lithograph I've always liked, so I decided to do my own rendition.

I don't know whether I'll ever do anything more with this, but at the very least it's a souvenir from a beautiful storm.

Comments