Sketch of the Week

When I was a child, there was a shop in Portsmouth, New Hampshire that specialized in vaguely Balinese imports. I can't remember the name of the shop anymore, it's been closed for years, but I always liked to go inside and look at its holdings.

One year, my mother bought me a wooden dragon from this shop. It should probably be noted that I was not a particularly feminine child. I preferred dinosaurs and dragons over princesses and ponies, and still do.

To this day I have the little dragon, in all its terrifying glory.

Some of the paint has chipped off over the years, hence the white, gessoed patches.

Anyway, I was looking at this piece the other night, and it occurred to me that, for all the years I've had it, I've never attempted drawing it, so I gave it a whirl. I drew it from a few different angles to get a feel for the complex head.


What objects do you still have from your childhood?

Comments