Sketch of the Week

Last weekend I needed a change of scenery. I find travel salubrious to the spirit, not only as a form of escape, but also as a catalyst for self-reflection. The novelty of an unfamiliar environment and the physical distance from home always encourages me to reevaluate my mundane routines and  behaviors.

For this recent excursion, I decided to go hiking at Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque. In addition to the hundreds of petroglyphs, there are several dormant volcanoes you can hike, which I did. While sitting atop the middle peak, I sketched the smallest of the volcanoes. The wind was both powerful and persistent, so I limited myself to a pencil lest my supplies get blown away.


I actually have a fear of heights. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, I occasionally find myself climbing mountains, volcanoes, and other precipices. Partially it's because I'm stubborn, but I also see my climbs as a metaphor for life. To me, they represent my ongoing struggles, emotionally, professionally, and so forth, between my fears and my desire to push myself to new limits.

Not to mention the views are always worth it.

Comments