Sketch of the Week

Today's sketches are a little different from the typical fare I post here:




And no, I'm not trying to be Rothko.

While driving home from Las Vegas (New Mexico, not Nevada) a few weeks ago, I couldn't help but notice all the wonderful colors around me. The roadside was a veritable kaleidoscope, from the purplish-maroon of the hills to sage green shrubs, bright reddish-orange and purple flowers, and of course the wide open blue sky.

When I got home, I decided to sketch my impressions while they were fresh on my mind. Rather than draw the actual landscape, however, I distilled my memories of the terrain into bands of color (with the exception of the first one, where I added that pattern of dark green circles to suggest the shrubs covering the hills). I went this route because I wanted a record of the colors that I saw for future use. I could see myself working them into monotypes, ceramics, or some other project down the line.

Comments