Sketch of the Week: Mesquite Pods

When I moved to Roswell last July, I had no car, so for the first two months I was stuck in town in the heat.
Now that I have a vehicle, I often drive out on the weekends to Bottomless Lakes, where I go swimming in Lea Lake. It's one of the great joys I experience here, being able to plunge into the water and vanquish the heat so fully, not to mention the scenery with its reddish rocks and turquoise-hued water. I usually go in the mornings, and leave by the time the day trippers begin arriving in earnest.

Lea Lake

I typically go for a walk before I throw myself in the water, and if I see anything interesting, which is usually all the time, I sketch it. Last weekend, I drew these mesquite pods, which range in color from yellow-green to rich maroon. You can find them throughout the park, and while their thorns can be quite nasty if you stumble into them, they are beautiful to look at.


Comments