Sketch of the Week: Paleo Art Nouveau

Like many people, I like dinosaurs. As a kid I considered becoming a paleontologist. If Jurassic Park is on T.V., I'll watch it. Natural history museums and their dinosaur displays remain among my favorite places to visit, and an an art historian, natural history and paleo art by the likes of Charles Knight and his ilk is a personal interest of mine. I've even got a copy of W.J.T. Mitchell's The Last Dinosaur Book (which has one of the most ridiculous, and therefore greatest, cover images ever), thanks to all my classmates at Williams.

Enough backstory though. On to the picture.

The other day, I was trying to look up some paleoart when Google showed me this instead: Paleo ArtNouveau. Turns out this is a resort out on the Ionian Islands in Greece, but I started wondering what paleo art done in an art nouveau style would actually look like, so later that evening I channeled by inner Mucha and came up with this:



This is a Parasaurolophus, specifically a p. walkeri, one of my favorite dinosaurs as a kid. It lived during the late Cretaceous period, hence the lettering at the bottom. I was thinking of the personifications that Mucha used to do, with beautiful young women representing the seasons and so forth, and was thinking it'd be fun to do an art noveau-style series with various dinosaurs representing the different geologic periods of Triassic, Jurassic, and so forth. I'd do a lot more research on the vegetation so it'd be at least somewhat accurate; what you see here is purely fanciful.

Really though, in light of recent developments, I should have drawn Brontosaurus.


Comments