Sketch of the Week: Utah Lake State Park

Last week I visited Utah for the first time when I attended a conference at the Brigham Young University Museum of Art in Provo. It's a beautiful part of the country, lined with craggy mountains and expansive lakes, and while my primary objective was to introduce to RMAC collection to scholars visiting from around the country, I also made sure to spend some time outdoors exploring.


This little sketch was done along the shores of Utah Lake State Park, located in Provo. I'd brought along a set of drawing pencils that were given to me as a birthday present, and I really liked having a range of graphite textures available. The softer, more charcoal-like pencils were great for the deep shadows on the rocks in the foreground, for instance, while the harder, finer pencils were good for both detail work and for delineating the forms of the background, their lighter value suggesting atmospheric perspective.

Comments