Sketch of the Week: Golden Rain Tree Pods

During a conversation with my mother last week, she encouraged me to seek out the beauty of everyday life, knowing that I'd been feeling a little down recently. Later that evening, I walked to a nearby grocery store to pick up a couple of bananas, and on the way home I noticed these seed pods from a Golden Rain Tree growing on the property. I was intrigued by their triangular, lantern-like forms, bright green color, and papery texture, and, remembering my mother's advice, took a few home so that I could sketch them. It was a short drawing exercise, but a salubrious one:

Working on this, I thought it would make for a great silverpoint drawing, and since I went ahead and ordered the supplies, you can expect to see that in the near future.

Comments