Bake Break: Slow Cooker Banana Bread

When I downsized to my little casita a couple of months ago, the main thing I gave up, aside from the excess space, was my kitchen, which contained sufficient room for a full stovetop oven. Nowadays I have a hotplate and microwave, but no oven.


As a result, I've been cooking almost entirely by crockpot. It's actually not all that different from what I'd been doing before: between curating, art-making, and blogging, I don't have a lot of time for cooking. The one way in which it does affect me significantly is baking, but for some time now I've been curious about the world of slow cooker baking, so I decided to take the plunge by making that most ubiquitous of recipes, banana bread.

I think everybody has a banana bread recipe in their stockpile somewhere. Mine was passed down through my grandmother, and I've made it so many times I have it memorized and no longer bother to look at the recipe. Still, I knew the cooking times would have to change, so I consulted a few online recipes to get a sense of how long it would take.

Did it work? It sure did, and it tasted pretty darn delicious too.



What do you do then? Take your favorite banana bread recipe and mix the batter as usual. Generously grease the crockpot with butter (or line) it, pour in the batter, and cook it on low for about 2-3 hours, until the top springs back when you press on it. The only real difference I noticed was that it was a little more moist because of the condensation inside the crockpot, and maybe a little more dense, but it was perfectly edible and was a hit at Sunday night dinner next door.

Enjoy!

Comments