Sketch of the Week: Fragrant Lilies

The most recent bouquet to enter my sketchbook is a cluster of fragrant bella lilies. The complex forms of the flowers, with their numerous overlapping, frilly petals intimidated me initially, as I thought I would get lost in all the intricate detail, but it was also a good challenge in distillation. After penciling in the basic shapes of the flowers, I started right with the color to keep me grounded. From there I added shadows with ink wash, with the pen-and-ink petals being among the last things to be drawn. As with anything that appears complicated, there's a basic structure holding it all together, and if you can find that, you'll be all right.
Personally I think this study came out rather well. An added bonus was that I could enjoy the strong perfume of these flowers the entire time I was working.

Comments