Sketch of the Week: Sunflowers

There's a charming little flower garden in Cahoon Park that I only recently discovered, despite having walked through the park on an almost weekly basis for nearly four years now. Tunnel vision is real, my friends. Anyway, the garden is full of bee and butterfly-friendly species, including sunflowers such as these:


The reddish band around the petals attracted my attention initially, though I've always appreciated the complex symmetry of these blooms. Admittedly I cheated a little on this one. I wanted to do a long sketch, but it's been 100+ degrees recently, far too hot for me to be outside drawing. Instead, I took a quick reference photo to help me remember the placement of the flowers, and drew primarily from memory back at home.

I have plans for this drawing, but that will be for a future post.

Comments