Bake Break: Oreo Lasagna

A few months ago I encountered a ridiculous dessert known as the Oreo lasagna. Taking a cue from the layered Italian staple, the dish piles on crushed Oreos, a cheesecake-like filling, pudding, Cool Whip, and chocolate chips. As much as I love dessert, even I wouldn't touch it for some time. Too much decadence, I said. Healthy foods are what I need.

Well, after a particularly intense week I decided to make it. Good intentions be damned.

There are several recipes for this concoction online, all with more or less the same ingredients and procedures. The recipe I used was from here, but I've also got it listed below. I recommend you visit the original site at least once though, because the commentary is hilarious.

Okay, here's what you need:

36-Oreos (1 package)
6-tablespoons melted butter
8-ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4-cup sugar
2-tablespoons cold milk
1-12-ounce tub of Cool Whip, divided
2-3.9 oz packages instant chocolate pudding (note, get the instant, not regular)
3.5 cups milk
1 bag chocolate chips: mini, regular, jumbo, doesn't matter

Here's what you do:

Crush the Oreos and mix with melted butter. Don't remove the filling, it'll blend in just fine. I used a food processor, but feel free to follow the crushing method of your choice.

Pack in the Oreos in the bottom of a glass serving dish.
Combine the cream cheese with sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and 1 1/2 cups of the Cool Whip.
Spread that stuff on top of the Oreos.

Mix up the pudding.
You guessed it, spread that on top of the cream cheese mixture.
Spread the remaining Cool Whip on top of the pudding, and sprinkle with the chocolate chips.

Behold:
Just look at those decadent layers. This is pre-Revolutionary, aristocratic France levels of richness we're talking about.
This little enterprise took me about 30 minutes from start to finish, and it has no right to be this delicious. Reserve this one for large parties with lots of guests, otherwise you'll unintentionally eat this one by yourself.

Comments