Sketch of the Week: Sandia Peak Tramway

A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend took me on the Sandia Peak Tramway, which ferries you to the top of the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque.

The next tram coming up while we were waiting to go back down.


During the ascent, I was able to look down at the tops of all the coniferous trees nestled among the mountain rocks. They showed a remarkable variety in color from light, almost lime green to a deep forest hue, while the patterning of the tops reminded me of lichen. The whole scene, with its abstract nature and patterning, struck me as positively Schooleyesque (with shades of DuJardin), so after I got home I drew what I saw from memory:


If I were to ever do anything with this I'd include more tree clusters, as what I saw was really an alternating rhythm of tree and rock. I won't do anything until I go back again though, as I'd really like to capture it accurately.

Comments