Sketch of the Week: Christmas Ornament Still Life Two Ways

I put up my little Christmas tree last weekend. I've had a 14" tabletop for the last few years, given Gustave's inclination to knock things over, but since my mother mailed me some of my old ornaments, this year I upgraded to a 3' tree. I'm living the high life now.

As I pulled out my box of decorations and began covering the tree, I found a gourd piece decorated like a bird that I'd bought at the Museum Store several years ago. I then remembered the painting I did about a year ago of my mother's ornaments, which included a similar bird she'd gotten at the same place, and decided to do a couple of companion studies. This time I paired it with a jingle bell I'd bought at Los Poblanos:


The first study was done in the same charcoal pencils I'd used for the studies I'd made last year. The second one was done in color in case I ever feel like turning this into a finished painting.

Comments