Sketch of the Week: Doorway Gustave

One Sunday morning I awoke to find my cat Gustave standing at the entrance to the bedroom and staring at me with his massive green eyes. It's not an unusual sight for me, Gustave has a habit of relentlessly staring at just about everything, but this particular morning proved more visually memorable. Between the morning light casting ample reflected light around the room and the hall, the overall rectilinear character of the scene, and the subtle pairing of different textures such as wood flooring and drywall, the whole image struck me as reminiscent of a Charles Sheeler painting, particularly one of his interiors in Doylestown. Gustave's presence in the midst of all this, a fluffy black cat surrounded by smooth surfaces and clean edges, struck me as especially funny, not to mention all the symbolic connotations one could derive from a cat standing in such a liminal space as a doorway, so I decided to sketch it.

If I were ever to anything with this I'd have to fix the perspective as it's a little wonky here, but it could be interesting. I've done a few more drawings of Gustave around the house since then, so there's potential for a bigger project.

What do you think?

Comments