Sketch of the Week: Rocking Chair Planter

I've always been prone to experiencing deja vu. I imagine it comes from having lived in a variety of different places while maintaining a similar lifestyle in each one, but some parallels are definitely more uncanny than others. Most recently, I noticed that a broken red rocking chair that my landlady had repurposed as a planter reminded me of a red chair that used to live under the apple trees at Shelburne Museum:


Affinities with Vermont aside, this was a fun scene to draw. The chair's weathered appearance, the result of years spent out in Roswell's unforgiving sun and wind, gives it a charming rustic character, while its location under the shade of two dappled tree adds a sense of whimsy. The frizzy houseplant now occupying the seat only emphasizes the chair's now-whimsical character. 

Personally, I also can't think of a better way to spend a warm spring evening than sitting on your porch and sketching in pen and ink. 

Comments