Sketch of the Week: Hollyhocks

Even after living here for five years, Roswell can surprise me with its hidden pockets of beauty. I was reminded of this the other night when I found a cluster of hollyhocks blooming against a wall of peeling paint:


I love the juxtaposition of colors and textures going on here. The pinks and greens of the flowers really stand out against the primary colors in the background without clashing, while the persistence of organic growth through urban decay is a striking image.

Naturally I had to sketch the flowers. It's been over 100 degrees lately, so my sketches have been short, but I got a few flowers in before retreating back inside:


If I were to do a painting of this I'd reintroduce the original colors in the peeling paint. Honestly though, I think the photograph is perfectly effective.


Comments