Weekend brunch

My folks have admittedly been walloped with a great deal of personal stress recently. My mother lost her sister to cancer about two months ago, and my dad has been coping with the death of his father.

When I invited them up to my apartment in Vermont for a weekend getaway, then, they were eager to get out of dodge for a few days.

Whenever my parents come up, I usually don't have an itinerary, but we usually go to Shelburne Farms, wander around Burlington, or just walk around the neighborhood.


A pair of osprey that we saw at the Farms during my parent's latest visit.

One thing I always do though, is cook them a nice meal. Sometimes it's dinner; this time I tackled brunch.

I'm no novice when it comes to the hallowed brunch. I've had fond memories of it since I was a child, as it was always a rare and special treat. I always looked forward to Sunday brunch in college, and since moving to Shelburne near two years ago, I've been hosting pancake brunches for my co-fellows.

This time, however, I decided to tackle French toast.

On Wednesday night, I baked two loaves of cinnamon bread, a large one for brunch, and a smaller one for my parents to take home. I found the recipe on the King Arthur Flour website, and I must say it's pretty delectable and easy to make, so if you have the inclination, I highly recommend it.


Two loaves of delicious cinnamon bread.


Here's what the bread looks like when sliced, complete with a tempting cinnamon-sugar swirl.

On Friday night, I baked miniature pumpkin cake doughnuts, another King Arthur gem of a recipe (if you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a fan of King Arthur Flour).



On Saturday morning, it was time to pull it all together. I sliced up the bread and fried it into thick slices of French toast. While I was doing that, I fried up a platter of bacon. I also set up a bowl of fresh strawberries, a serendipitous find at the grocery store. Finally, I put out the doughnuts, and some whipped cream and maple syrup. Then it was just a matter of waiting for the other fellows to arrive and devour the food.


Brunch, ready and waiting for the troops.

I'll admit, for a one-woman show I thought it was an impressive layout. More importantly though, my friends and parents were able to enjoy a relaxing, leisurely meal together.

Good food, and even better company company. What more do you need?

Comments

  1. One thing I've missed SO much: Sara breakfasts. Looks incredible, and I bet it tasted delicious! I'm happy you guys had a nice time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran! Believe me, your culinary delights have been sorely missed here as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Speak your mind here.