Dinosaur mugs

As you know, recently I've been experimenting with adding animal skulls to my mugs. For the most part I've been using modern animals and prehistoric mammals, but for this latest batch, I decided to revisit one of my childhood passions: dinosaurs.

During a recent trip to a natural history museum, I sketched several dinosaur skulls. Let's take a look:


This handsome fellow belongs to the hadrosaurids, a family of duck-billed dinosaurs. These were common herbivores during the Cretaceous periods. The dinosaur below is an example of a hadrosaur type.

Hadrosaurus-1.jpg (400×300)
Image courtesy of http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130701230203/dinosaurs/images/c/ca/Hadrosaurus-1.jpg


This is an example of a dimetrodon skull. The dimetrodon is not actually a true dinosaur, as it went extinct about 40 million before the first dinosaurs evolved. It's actually more closely related to mammals, though it's not a direct ancestor either. The dimetrodon is best known its massive back sail, which you can see in the picture below.



Dimetrodon_grandis.jpg (2192×1233)
Image courtesy of https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Dimetrodon_grandis.jpg

Once I drew the skulls and had the mugs fired, I went through the usual glazing process, starting with applying the wax resist...


...then dipping them in the glazes and getting them fired a second time.


Here are the final versions:




I'd definitely like to do more of these, and use an array of not only dinosaur skulls, but skeletons as well. After all, who doesn't like dinosaurs? 

Comments