Sketch of the Week: Blooms and Heirloom

A few months ago I posted a sketch here of a bust by Daniel Chester French that I'd recently inherited. Well, I've continued drawing it since then, making studies and notes for future projects. In one of these sketches, I paired the bust with a vase of flowers that I'd also been sketching:



I appreciated the contrast in contrasts and the subtle dialogue between textures, with the ruffled petals of the carnations going particularly well with the lady's elaborate coiffure. I also thought the line of petite roses paired nicely with the ringlets above her headband. I'd considered doing a painted version of this at the time, but I lost interest. As we've discovered on this blog in recent projects though, that doesn't mean I won't revisit this in the future.

Comments